You may wonder what the process of acquiring new customers has to do with upholding a client’s brand image. We first learned to understand the importance of BRAND in the early 90’s when working on assignment for a Fortune listed 500 company.
Their executives made a serious point of informing us their company was much concerned that we should not do anything which might hurt their company’s carefully cultivated image.
On the contrary they went on to explain . . .
- that in speaking with their prospective clients we should speak with esteem for the way their company does business
- that we should convey their company is one which appreciates the customer as king
- that they value the opportunity to pay attention to the needs and values of their customers
- that they can be relied on to carry out their promises and offers
- that they should be admired for their products and respected for their services.
We immediately realized the essential truth of this client's definition of their brand, their company image, and the real value of their advice. Before long we decided to make changes in our business that would result in setting us apart from the average telemarketing service vendor of the time.
This decision required us to internalize that client’s priceless advice and to review eti’s company persona. It also affected our hiring objectives. The education and business experience of our phone agents would become one of the most important factors in our hiring decisions.
We would need to look for persons with an executive manner who easily and naturally spoke the language of their prospects. We would need people capable of understanding the need to uphold the client’s brand image whenever they spoke in their name. And scripts were thrown out in favor of Call Guides enabling us to engage in consultative and meaningful conversations with client prospects.
In due course our staff would be defined as Business Developers (no longer telemarketers or phone agents) in keeping with our clients’ objectives. These were, by and large, to acquire new customers via sales lead generation and lead qualification efforts.
When we work for you, you’ll know that we are conscious of the fact that you too want respect for your company image and admiration for your products or services. You’ll get both.
Here is what clients have said about our approach:
- “You don't describe yourselves as being in the business of generating leads. You defined your mission as New Customer Acquisition and Retention and maximizing sales/force productivity.”
- “You sold us on the lifetime significance of new customers rather than the value of their first orders.”
- “You have a basic brand image mindset which is very important to us.”
- “Your Business Developers are graduates and have business experience. They adapt and converse freely because they are not bound by scripts.”
- “You’re not the most competitive price wise. But if we wanted low costs we could have gone to any of the commodity type agencies that abound.”
- “What we can’t get from your competitors are people who will be concerned to uphold our brand image.”
- “You appreciated the concern we have for our brand image. You spoke our language.”
eti is concerned to convey the respect we have for our client’s brand image. This concept does not lend itself to a set of rules which can be prioritized and numbered. Brand image is not upheld or maintained or enhanced in this way.